Monday, February 16, 2015

RIGHT TIME (NOT ) TO CHANGE YOUR JOB
  or
 Lessons I learned while moving from Dubai to Abudhabi

We do have a million pages that teach us about the right time you can quit a job. In fact, you don’t need a lesson for that. For some of us, it just happen and for the rest, they make it happen.

My case was somewhat similar too. I was in a job in Dubai and on completion of the contract, I found another one. Though I could easily renew my contract, I opted for a change. After all , money matters, right? My soul needed a change too. So I in a very fresh morning, I decided to quit. 

What Happens when you have liabilities on your credit card?
I knew the visa procedure might take a month or two for the new company. I figured out, if I keep some amount in my account, I could use it for my credit card payments. But things really didn't go as expected. As soon as the bank received my EOS( End of service) benefits, they withheld it , saying that I have to submit the new visa and other details to release the amount. This is actually a standard rule in U. A. E, which I couldn't foresee. 

What Happens when you have a personal loan?
The bank which gave you personal loan, uses the cheques issued by you , to get the monthly payment from your primary account. So what happens when your primary account get frozen? Your cheques start bouncing. The bank may wait for a month, or maximum two-not more than that. You have to find a way to fill the money in your loan account. Another thing, every time you delay your payments, the interest hits new heights. 

What happens when quality of life changes?
Moving from one city to another, is like moving from one culture to another, sometimes. Don't expect the quality of life in Dubai , in the capital city, Abudhabi. People complains about huge traffic and crowd in Dubai, and says AD is much calmer place. AD is more greener and boasts about great parks too. But the public transport in Dubai is way ahead of Abudhabi, with it's much praised driverless metros and mobile apps. You've got an app for everything, in Dubai. Let it be about going somewhere: choose your destination and the app will tell you which bus/metro you should take and where to get off. If you need a taxi, touch your finger on another app, and you'll receive a call from the taxi company. Finally, the people in Dubai- I love them.

Communication
In Dubai, if you don't speak Arabic, don't worry about it at all. 95% of people can speak good English-including natives. So communication is not a problem at all. I lived quite happily there for more than two years without knowing a single word in Arabic. But things are quite different in Abudhabi. I guess more than 60% of people doesn't speak much in English. So if you don't know Arabic, at least a few important words, things gonna be a bit difficult here.

So think twice before you plan to change your job or moving from one city to another. If that's going to make only a few bucks difference, i advice not to go for it. Stay where you are comfortable, and enjoy your life.

Note:  These were the pages from the life of an average human being. So if you don't belong to such a category, things might be more awesome.

No comments:

Post a Comment